Last week we had some time to kill before our visit to Birdland in Bourton-on-the-Water so we decided to visit The Model Village. The Model Village has been there for years and years. I remember visiting it as a child and its barely changed since.
The Model Village buildings are 1/9th scale of the village. It is based on how the village looked in the 1930s and shows how the buildings are being used today, many of them now being shops. It is the only Grade II listed model village in the country. The buildings are handmade from local cotswold stone. During our visit a man was doing repairs to the roof of one of the buildings which was interesting to watch.
The Model Village is very cute and lovely to wander round. It really doesn’t take long to see it all though as it’s only small. I would say 30 minutes at the most. Some of the buildings have windows with things inside. The church has people sat in pews and music playing. It would be great to see more details such as model people around the village though. I think this would make it more interesting, especially for kids.
Currently there is a one-way system in place with markings on the floor. Hand sanitiser is available and staff ask that you keep your distance, which most people did.
Lovely models but could be so much better with the addition of people and other details. Nice for a wander round but beware it isn’t huge and won’t take you long to see it all.
- Toilets / Disabled Toilet Yes
- Pushchair / Wheelchair Friendly No. Pushchairs can be left in the buggy park at the entrance. The pathways inside are too narrow for pushchairs or wheelchairs.
- Disabled Access Wheelchairs can enter via the side hat free of charge however they can only see from the front path and will not be able to access the rest of the site.
- Dog Friendly No dogs except assistance dogs
- Refreshments available Ice cream and drinks.
- Car Park Yes small pay and display car park on site
- Gift Shop Yes
- Baby facilities Baby changing in the toilets
Address: The Old New Inn, Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire, GL54 2AF
Price Band: £